posted at 18:50
Author Name: Aminu Abubakar
Nigeria vows to hunt those behind heinous mosque attacks
At least 270 others were also wounded when two suicide bombers blew themselves up and gunmen opened fire during weekly prayers on Friday at the Grand Mosque in Kano, the biggest city in the mainly Muslim north of the country, according to a toll given to AFP late Friday by a senior rescue official. The mosque is attached to the palace of Kano's emir, Muhammad Sanusi II, Nigeria's second most senior Muslim cleric, who last week made a call at the same mosque urging civilians to take up arms against Islamist extremists Boko Haram. Sanusi on Saturday returned from abroad to inspect the mosque. "I have directed that the mosque be washed and cleaned and prayers should continue here," the emir said. Just hours before the Kano massacre, a suspected remote-controlled roadside bomb near another mosque nearly 600 kilometres away in Maiduguri, was defused. After the latest attacks, the special representative of the UN Secretary-General for west Africa, Mohamed Ibn Chambas, called on Nigerian authorities "To increase their response against terrorist threats in northeastern Nigeria", and for additional measures to protect civilians. UN chief Ban Ki-moon condemned the bloodshed at the mosque, saying in a statement that "There can be no justification for attacks on civilians". "We must unite against barbarism, against the risks posed by fundamentalism, notably in the Sahel, in Africa," he said while on an official visit to Senegal.

Posts Archive